Check the Victorian registration details of a car, motorcycle, truck, trailer or caravan.
Things you need to know
- You’ll need either the vehicle’s registration number, Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) or chassis number to do a check.
- If you want to find out if a vehicle is stolen, written-off, registered in another state or has an outstanding debt, visit the Personal Property Securities .
What information will I get from a registration check?
The check will give you the following information about a Victorian car, motorcycle, truck, trailer or caravan:
- Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)
- Chassis number
- Registration number
- Engine number
- Body type
- Year of manufacture
- Registration status (current, expired, suspended or cancelled)
- Expiry date.
How long does it take to update the registration status after a payment is made?
Some payment methods can take up to 72 hours to be processed and the record updated.
Where does your vehicle information come from?
The information comes directly from the Victorian vehicle registration database managed by VicRoads.
What’s a Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)?
The Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) is a vehicle’s unique serial number used to identify vehicles. It’s always 17 characters long and can include numbers 0-9 and uppercase letters A-Z, except I, O and Q. You’ll find it stamped on the vehicle, on the passenger side windshield or door frame.
What’s a chassis number?
Vehicles made before 1989 don’t have a Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) and are identified using the chassis number. It’s between 1 and 25 characters long and can include numbers 0-9 and letters A-Z. You’ll find it stamped into the vehicle’s frame, often on the firewall or the front chassis rail.
What's my vehicle’s registration number?
Your vehicle’s registration number is the combination of letters and numbers on your vehicle’s number plates and is:
- 1 to 6 characters for a car or truck
- 3 to 5 characters for a motorcycle
- 6 characters for a caravan.
A program of
In partnership with