You don't need a fishing licence if you're
- Under 18 years or over 70 years
- A traditional owner member, fishing in a relevant natural resource agreement area
- A Victorian or interstate equivalent Seniors Card holder
- A Veterans' Affairs Pensioner or TPI-coded Repatriation Health Card holder
- A Commonwealth Pensioner Concession Card holder, coded either DSP, DSP Blind, AGE, AGE Blind or CAR.
There are four fishing licences available
A plastic licence is provided when purchasing a 1- or 3- year licence.
|1-year licence||$34.95 ($2.25 saving when bought online)|
|3-year licence||$95.40 ($5.30 saving when bought online)|
What does the licence cover?
A Victorian recreational fishing licence covers all forms of recreational fishing in Victorian waters. This includes lakes, rivers and marine waters.
Can I use this licence interstate?
No. This licence is only valid for fishing in Victorian waters.
Can I buy a licence for a future date?
Yes. You can buy a licence for up to 3 months ahead.
Why do I have to pay for a licence?
The money collected from Victorian recreational fishing licences is spent on programs and initiatives to improve fishing in Victoria including:
- Better infrastructure, such as jetties and boating facilities
- Improved access to waterways
- New fishing reefs
- Improved fish production and stocking
- Ongoing school education and children's fishing programs.
What happens if I don’t buy a licence?
Officers from Victorian Fisheries Authority do licence checks regularly. If you’re found without a current licence, the officer can issue you with an infringement notice. In extreme cases, you can be taken to court.
Offences and penalties related to recreational fishing are outlined in the Fisheries Act .
Can I buy my licence in person, instead of online?
Yes, you can buy paper licences in person at a recreational fishing .
However, if you want a 1- or 3-year plastic licence, you must buy it online. Your licence will be emailed to you immediately if you buy it online.
Will I get a physical licence sent to me?
A physical plastic licence is only sent to people who buy a licence valid for 1 or 3 years online.
Everyone is emailed a copy of their licence. This can be printed or stored on your mobile phone, in case you’re asked to show your licence to a Victorian Fisheries Authority authorised officer.
What should I do if I lose my physical or electronic licence?
If you lose your licence, fill out our feedback and we’ll re-send your licence by email. Allow up to 7 days for a new plastic licence to be sent in the mail.
Can I lend or transfer ownership of my licence to someone else?
No, but you can buy someone else a licence at the same time you buy yours.
What kinds of species can be fished and how many fish can I take?
How we protect your privacy and others'
We're Service Victoria. We:
- let you access and change your info if you have a Service Victoria account
- don't share your info except to get your fishing licence, or when we must by law
- need the info we're asking for because Section 51 of the says so
- can't get your fishing licence without this info (there are penalties for fishing without a licence)
- don't store your info if you apply as a guest
If you check out without creating an account and need to change personal info related to your fishing licence, contact the Victorian Fisheries Authority.
A program of
In partnership with